|Months To Go||September | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||Contact us for 2013 trip details|
|Start & End||Oviedo, Spain | Madrid, Spain
|Trip Length||9 days | 8 nights|
|Rider Type||4 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 30 - 63 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Historical Site Visit, Shopping, Ride Pro Race Course, RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK Team Access|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
The third of the "Grand Tours," the Vuelta has long tested the strength and endurance of cycling's premiere athletes. Now, experience the challenge, drama, and fanfare firsthand as racers face Spain's arduous climbs, epic descents, and technical time trials. Enjoy prime viewing locations and opportunities to bike much of the actual Vuelta course. After you've conquered the riding, you'll enjoy the best of Spanish hospitality with 4 star hotels, delicious traditional meals and locally produced world class wines. Enjoy this classic Spanish race bike tour in traditional Trek Travel style!
- Exclusive Trek Travel Race viewings.
- Ride the industry's best, Trek's 5.2 OCLV Madone bike (always included in the price) or upgrade to the 6.5 - a lighter even higher performance ride.
- Behind the scenes race access.
- Our reputation as the experts in the industry for our race trips.
- Highly trained guides to offer industry renowned support and attention.
Sample 2012 Itinerary
Days 1 & 2 | Asturias
Stay at Meliá Hotel de la Reconquista
Ride with Chechu Rubiera, veteran of Team RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK and witness the Stage finish at los Lagos de Covadonga in the Asturian Mountains | Ride across the finish line escorted by an official race car and see the race action live at a stage finish in Valgrande-Pajares
Days 3 & 4 | Cantabria
Stay at Parador de Fuente Dé
Ride along the spectacluar Asturian coastline up to the Picos de Europa National Park | See live race action at the stage finish in Fuente De | Dine on delicious Cantabrian mountain cuisine
Days 5 - 7 | Segovia
Stay at Hotel TBD
Wander the tiny cobbled streets and explore the castle of Segovia | Enjoy VIP passes to stage start and finish World heritage site | Get behind the scenes in a Q&A with a Team RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK representative,.
Days 8 & 9 | Madrid
Stay at Hotel TBD
Transfer to Madrid | See the race conclusion along the famous Paseo de la Castellana | Celebrate at the farewell dinner
Sample 2012 Accommodations
Meliá Hotel de la Reconquista | Oviedo, Spain
A restored eighteenth century hospice, set right inthe heart of town. this hotel its in a class of it’s own. It embodies classic Spanish tradition with a moderne interior design
Parador de Fuente Dé | Fuente De, Spain
This spectacularly situated hotel is surrounded by the towering peaks of the Picos de Europa National park. It is a classic mountain style hotel with a restaurant that specializes in the local Cantabrian cuisine,such as Liébana stew and sirloin steak in Tresviso cheese sauce
Luxury Hotel TBD | Segovia, Spain
Luxury Hotel TBD | Madrid, Spain
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 8 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 2 social hours, 6 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Early fall is a great time to be in the Asturian region of Spain. Days are sunny and mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Nights can be cooler, dropping to the mid 50s to mid 60s. Pack a warm jacket or sweater for the evenings. Our journey will take us over high mountain peaks, where weather will be unpredictable. It is best to be prepared for variable conditions, as weather can change very quickly. There is always the chance of precipitation. We recommend always traveling with rain gear and breathable layers to provide warmth and protection when the temperature drops.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 4||Average Daily Mileage | 45
|Terrain | mountainous||Average Daily Elevation | 3,500|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Vuelta a EspaÌ±a is best suited for our Type 4 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 3 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Type 4+ Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is challenging. The trip rides through mountainous train, for several days. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
This destination is best suited to guests who want to cycle every day. Because of the terrain and/or remoteness of the hotels and riding routes, there are few, if any, non-riding options available. If a non-rider wants to accompany a rider guest on this trip, they would need to spend many hours in the van and/or at the hotels on the trip. As an alternative, call a Trek Travel Trip Consultant at 866.464.8735 for trip suggestions where more non-rider activities are available, such as Costa Brava, Provence, and Dordogne.
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Vuelta a España||Make Date Private|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Vuelta a EspaÌ±a bike vacations, here is what they said…
My mother and I had the trip of a lifetime! This was my fourth trip to Spain, and the bike rides were by far the best way to see the country.-Robin