Santos Tour Down Under • Asia Pacific • Asia Pacific
|Months To Go
||January | View Dates»|
|Start & End||Adelaide, Australia|
|Trip Length||9 days | 8 nights|
|Rider Type||3 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 14 - 92 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Wine Tasting, Beach, Ride Pro Race Course, RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK access
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Kick off the New Year in South Australia with Trek Travel, an Official Specialist of the Santos Tour Down Under, and witness the excitement of the first WorldTour event of the season! Backstage access to Trek's partner teams and week-long VIP race hospitality ensure that you have an awesome race vacation! As the organizers say - "Any closer and you'd be in it!" Enjoy summer in January, with exciting racing and pleasant riding through South Australia and its award-winning wine producing regions and vibrant capital, Adelaide. Be there as the whole area comes alive in a veritable festival of sport as cycling takes center stage and see for yourself that the Aussies truly know how to host a first-class cycling event.
- Experience exclusive access to Trek's sponsored team riders and staff during a private Trek Travel gathering.
- Get up close to the action with exclusive Club Tour Hospitality VIP access.
- Ride an entire stage of the tour just hours before the pro peloton in the Bupa Challenge Tour.
- Enjoy the VIP Legends' Night Dinner, hosted by cycling sports announcers Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen.
- Visit the famed Barossa & McLaren Vale wine regions.
Days 1 – 9 | Adelaide
Stay at Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury
Watch the People's Choice Classic | Stay in Adelaide near race headquarters | Option to ride an entire stage of the race in the Bupa Community Challenge | Bask in Australia's summertime weather in January | Enjoy race viewing from VIP hospitality | Attend exclusive race events & gala dinners with cycling legends and Trek's partner teams | Soak in the beauty of South Australia | Taste fine wines from famous South Australia wine regions like the Clare Valley
Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury | Adelaide, Australia (SA)
Originally the offices for the State Treasury, the Medina has been completely restored and rejuvenated, making it one of the country's most appealing boutique hotels. You'll also enjoy being just steps away from the city's best entertainment, culture, and nightlife offerings. Overlooking Victoria Square in the heart of Adelaide's Central Business District, the Medina is only a five-minute walk from some of Adelaide's favorite attractions.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 8 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 6 lunches, 4 social hours, 5 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike (subject to change)
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Daytime temperatures are typically around 75 degrees, but can vary widely, as this is the summer and it can be hot. Bring layers, as well as a rain jacket, to be prepared for possible rain. Night temperatures typically drop into the 60s.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 3||Average Daily Mileage | 35|
|Terrain | undulating||Average Daily Elevation | 2,200
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Santos Tour Down Under is best suited for our Type 3 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 2 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Type 4 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is variable and is highlighted by rolling hills with occasional steep climbs and potential headwinds. However, the scenery is amazing and makes every climb worthwhile. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
This destination is best suited to guests who want to cycle every day. Because of the terrain and/or remoteness of the hotels and riding routes, there are few, if any, non-riding options available. If a non-rider wants to accompany a rider guest on this trip, they would need to spend many hours in the van and/or at the hotels on the trip. Due to this, we strongly discourage non-riders from this destination.
As an alternative, call a Trek Travel Trip Consultant at 866.464.8735 for trip suggestions where more non-rider activities are available, such as:
How do I train for my trip?
We work with Vision Quest Training to give you that little boost before your Trek Travel bike trip. Vision Quest offers custom training plans that will get you ready to tackle your trip with confidence. The coaches consider the amount of hours you can train per week, what you need to focus on based on your goals and milestones you need to hit in order to achieve them. They develop a detailed write up and training plan just for you!
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Santos Tour Down Under||Make Date Private|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Santos Tour Down Under bike vacations, here is what they said…
The (Santos) Tour Down Under is a magical way to kick off the New Year. All the pros arrive in South Australia to test out their early season fitness through the Adelaide Hills and the famed Barossa wine region. See you Down Under, mate! —Dave Edwards, Trip Expert
My favorite part of the trip was actually, "side lining" a race and seeing the races daily!—Beverly
Great access to pro cyclists.—Jill
The wow factor for me was the daily access to the greats of cycling.—Luke