South Australia • Asia Pacific • Asia Pacific
|Months||March | View Dates»|
|Start & End||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Trip Length||8 days | 7 nights|
|Rider Type||2&3 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 15 - 60 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Wine Tasting, Cooking Class, Beach, Shopping, Ride Pro Race Course|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
On this bike vacation, discover the stunning coastline and pristine beaches of the Southern Ocean, then sample wine from some of the 76 cellar doors in the McLaren Vale. As your bike tour continues through the Adelaide Hills and on through the Mount Lofty Range, keep a watchful eye out for some of the marsupials, kangaroos and wallabies for which the region is known. Pedal quiet country roads, lined with a canopy of eucalyptus trees, through the cooler climate of the Eden Valley, recognized for its high quality Riesling and Chardonnay. Your bicycle tour concludes in the beautiful Barossa Valley, known as the wine capital of Australia, where you can sample world-class Shiraz and toast this beautiful country.
- Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of South Australia's inviting beaches.
- Savor Australian cuisine, which features the freshest ingredients prepared with a modern twist.
- Explore Cleland Wildlife Park, home to kangaroos, koalas and other native species.
- Visit the oldest vineyards in Australia, producing world-renowned Shiraz.
- Bask in the friendly warmth of an Australian welcome.
Days 1 – 3 | McLaren Vale
Stay at The Retreat at Chapel Hill Winery
Cycle along the Fleurieu Peninsula to the McLaren Vale | Discover the stunning coastline and pristine beaches | Sample Shiraz from some of the 76 cellar doors | Create your own culinary masterpiece at The Retreat’s private cooking school, paired with estate wines
Days 4 & 5 | Hahndorf, Adelaide Hills
Stay at The Manna of Hahndorf
Bike through the picturesque farmlands, breathtaking vistas and charming villages of the Adelaide Hills | Explore the historic town of Hahndorf | Visit kangaroos and koalas at Cleland Wildlife Park | Ride to the summit of Mount Lofty
Days 6 – 8 | Barossa Valley
Stay at The Louise
Bicycle through the heart of the Barossa Valley, known as the wine capital of Australia | Sample wines from famed cellar doors and tasting rooms | Pedal quiet country roads lined with eucalyptus trees through the Eden Valley | Relax at The Louise, a luxurious vineyard retreat
The Retreat at Chapel Hill Winery | McLaren Vale, South Australia
The Retreat at Chapel Hill Winery is a boutique hotel, located in the heart of the McLaren Vale, a renowned wine region with 76 cellar doors. Private and comfortable, with an inviting Great Room and large patio overlooking the vineyards, The Retreat also features a large professional cooking space to highlight a complete culinary and viticulture experience.
The Manna of Hahndorf | Hahndorf, South Australia
The Manna of Hahndorf is situated in the very heart of this historic town, which has a strong German influence. Located in the beautiful Adelaide Hills, the casual, new, stylish rooms feature the elegance of contemporary furnishings.
The Louise | Marananga, South Australia
The Louise is a luxury vineyard retreat, surrounded by more than 100 wineries in the Barossa Valley. There are 15 luxuriously appointed suites, with opulent bathrooms, private exterior patios and secluded courtyards.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 7 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 3 social hours, 5 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike (subject to change)
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Summer in South Australia generally brings sunny, warm days (temperatures 80F-90F), with the potential of extremely hot days. Along the coast, there is also the possibility of cool ocean breezes. Light layers are recommended for riding, and a warmer layer for the evenings is a good idea. Because the sun is strong in South Australia, sunscreen or lightweight long sleeves are a must.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2&3||Average Daily Mileage | 35|
|Terrain | undulating||Average Daily Elevation | 1,800|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. South Australia is best suited for our Type 2&3 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 2 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is rolling with occasional short, steep climbs in potential headwinds. Most days have a combination of short and longer ascents on roads in good repair. There are some days with little elevation gain. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip, please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Tour one of the many local vineyards and taste famous Australian wines
- Get up close to kangaroos, koalas and more during a visit to Cleland Wildlife Park
- Spend a day at the beach, enjoying the warm sun and crystal clear waters
- Explore the historic, German-accented towns of Hahndorf and Angaston, home to inviting shops, galleries and cafes
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
||Make Date Private|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their South Australia bike vacations, here is what they said…
This trip was exceptional. Great variety of surroundings and activities, beautiful scenery, and fun, engaging guides. Hope to experience another TT trip soon!–Sarah
The cycling was great, the guides were outstanding, the accommodations were excellent.–Teri
The excellent service, flexibility and attention to detail wow-ed me.–Sarah
If you were to dream up the most amazing scenes you could possibly think of in one region, it would likely resemble southern Australia. The Aussie culture and delightful language is a welcoming complement to the beaches, wineries, and wildlife. –Krissy, Trip Designer