Santa Barbara Wine & Beach • California Wine • North America
|Months||August | September | View Dates»|
|Start & End||Santa Barbara, CA|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2&3 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 15 - 50 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Kayaking, Historical Site Visit, Wine Tasting, Beach, Shopping, Ride Pro Race Course|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Trek Travel’s bike tour along California’s South Central Coast offers a perfect blend of classic cycling routes, luxurious hotels, and exquisite food and wine. The region’s coastal weather offers a burgeoning selection of up and coming wines, specifically for lovers of Pinor Noir. From undulating vineyards in Santa Ynez county to magical rides along the Pacific Coast, the riding is unparalleled. You will also have a chance to experience the Pacific Ocean up close on a sea kayaking excursion to break up the week of cycling. From small towns like Los Olivos to the cosmopolian vibe of downtown Santa Barbara, this destination has something for everyone. We welcome you to this cycling and food & wine lovers’ paradise.
- Explore the Santa Rosa Wine Trail and taste the region’s well-known Pinot Noirs.
- Take in the undulating hillsides, covered with oak trees and lazing horses.
- Enjoy some time on the water during a guided sea kayaking excursion from scenic Refugio State Beach along the Gaviota Coast.
- Discover boutique shops in small towns like Solvang and Los Olivos, located along our cycling routes.
- Take time to wander through the 10th and 19th historic California Missions.
Days 1 – 3 | Santa Ynez
Stay at Santa Ynez Inn
Discover the famous Pinot Noirs of this region | Ride among the undulating hills and oak trees in the Santa Ynez Valley | Visit Central Coast wineries along the Foxen Canyon Wine Trail | Ride to the summit of the famed Mount Figueroa | Explore the quaint towns of Solvang and Los Olivos
Days 4 – 6 | Santa Barbara
Stay at The Canary Hotel
Sea kayak along the pristine Gaviota Coastline from Refugio State Beach | Ride along the scenic Pacific Ocean | Explore historic California Missions | Enjoy elegant meals in this culinary paradise | Visit the elegant boutiques on Santa Barbara's bustling State Street | Cycle through the foothills of the Santa Ynez Mountains while gazing over the stunning ocean below
Santa Ynez Inn | Santa Ynez, California
In the heart of the Santa Barbara wine country, you’ll enjoy individually appointed guest rooms in Victorian style, with all of the modern amenities you expect from a fine hotel, including a full-service spa. Enjoy complimentary wine and cheese each night, as well as a nightcap. This is a truly luxurious hotel, known for outstanding hospitality and customer service.
The Canary | Santa Barbara, California
Located in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, just steps from bustling State Street, The Canary offers beautiful guest rooms with chic, modern styling. A roof-top pool and fireplace, fantastic bar and restaurant, and breezy interior spaces throughout make this hotel a picture-perfect backdrop for your Santa Barbara getaway.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 3 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane™ 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane™ 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX™ hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
In an average year Santa Barbara County enjoys over 300 days of sunshine. In Santa Ynez you can expect temperatures to be in the 90s during the day and near 50 degrees at night. In Santa Barbara expect temperatures in the upper 70s during the day and near 60 degrees at night. Rain is rare, but there is always a chance. Morning fog on the coast generally causes cooler temperatures until it burns off.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2&3||Average Daily Mileage | 40|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 1,800|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Santa Barbara Wine & Beach is best suited for our Type 2&3 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 2 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option–you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 4 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is highlighted by rolling roads with a couple moderate to long climbs, not to mention amazing views of the surrounding area. The varied hills and valleys of Santa Barbara County make for very enjoyable riding. The two most significant climbs of the week, up Mount Figueroa near Santa Ynez and Gibraltar Road in Santa Barbara, are optional additions to the standard route options. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip–please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Visit some of the numerous tasting rooms and vineyards throughout the trip
- Book a luxurious spa appointment
- Wander the local towns of Solvang, Santa Ynez, Los Olivos, and Santa Barbara
- Relax by the beach in Santa Barbara
- Join the group for a sea kayaking excursion from Refugio State Beach
- Tour the 10th and 19th California Missions in Santa Barbara and Solvang
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Santa Barbara Wine & Beach
||Make Date Private|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their Santa Barbara Wine Country vacations, here is what they said…
Excellent bike routes and scenery. The Santa Ynez area was sensational!—Debra
The pace and flow was very good. Hosts did a great job.—Will
Unbelievable riding, fabulous scenery, exquisite meals, boutique wines, and luxurious hotels combine in Santa Barbara. This region "wows" me every time I come back for all of these reasons! —Mark Thomsen, Trip Designer