San Juan Islands • West Coast • North America
|Months||July, August | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||From $2,799 | See Pricing»|
|Start & End||Seattle, Washington|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||1 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 9 - 45 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Kayaking, Boat Cruise, Beach, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Cycling on the San Juan Islands can make the world seem smaller and larger all at once. The world shrinks, as hustle and bustle is replaced with placid water, distant peaks, and simple fishing villages along the shore. At the same time, your focus is drawn to the vastness of the Pacific sprawling to the west, the magnificence of the Cascades on the horizon, and the mournful sigh of an orca echoing in the distance. These idyllic and relaxing islands, with their temperate maritime climate, lush vegetation, and quiet country roads, offer an absolutely amazing location for your next active travel bicycle vacation.
- Embrace the leisurely pace of ’island life’ and feel your preoccupations from home melt away and slip into the sea.
- Sea kayak on the pristine waters off the northern coast of San Juan Island.
- Perch on Lime Kiln Point, one of the world’s best places to spot passing orca pods.
- Spend a morning enjoying a private boat cruise between islands, while an onboard naturalist points out intriguing flora and fauna.
- Marvel at the island seascape view from atop 2,409’ Mount Constitution.
Days 1 – 3 | Lopez and Orcas Islands
Stay at Outlook Inn
Indulge in a picnic lunch at Deception Pass State Park and cycle to Anacortes | Enjoy ferry rides to Orcas and Lopez Islands | Experience the varied terrain and character of these two islands while biking the more gentle terrain of Lopez and the more rolling landscape of Orcas | Visit Orcas Island Pottery for one-of-a-kind pottery | Visit a shellfish farm | Ride Mount Constitution for spectacular views
Days 4 – 6 | San Juan Island
Stay at Earthbox Inn and Spa
Take in the sights and sounds of the water during a private boat cruise between islands with an onboard naturalist | Visit the whale museum, quaint shops, and galleries in Friday Harbor | Pedal along the seashore to Cattle Point and hike to the lighthouse, keeping an eye out for bald eagles! | Sample everything lavender, from ice cream to foot scrub, at Pelindaba Lavender Farm | Look for orcas from the shores of the country's one and only designated whale watching park, Lime Kiln State Park | Intimately experience the nuances of the Pacific with a guided sea kayaking tour
Outlook Inn | Eastsound, WA
Perfectly located in the village of Eastsound and adjacent to the shores of the Pacific Ocean, the Outlook Inn is a delightful place to stay. The charm of a historic country inn, matched with classic architecture and wonderful hospitality, creates an incredible atmosphere and experience for all guests.
Earthbox Inn and Spa | Friday Harbor, WA
This recently renovated inn - located just 4 blocks from the Friday Harbor Ferry Landing - embodies comfort and convenience. Rooms feature simple designs and calming colors, inspired by the earth, sea, sun and sky. With cruiser bikes to borrow, an indoor pool and on-site spa, the Earthbox is a fun retreat within walking distance of Friday Harbor’s many restaurants and attractions.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 2 social hours, 3 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Daytime temperatures range from the upper 60s to low 80s. Evenings cool to averages of 50 to 60 degrees. The West Coast can be rainy so come prepared with wet weather gear, although we’ll cross our fingers that you won’t need it!
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 1||Average Daily Mileage | 25|
|Terrain | undulating||Average Daily Elevation | 1,100|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. San Juan Islands is best suited for our Type 1 Riders. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option–you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 2 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is full of rolling hills, including some long, gradual grades and some short steep ones. The riding near Anacortes and on Lopez Island is the most gentle, and Orcas Island has the hilliest terrain. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip–please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Schedule a massage or spa visit
- Take a catamaran cruise or a sunset sail from Eastsound
- Many museum options from the Whale Museum to the art & history museums located on the islands
- Enjoy sight seeing and the varied terrain of the San Juan Islands by horseback riding
- Scenic hiking all over the islands
- Witness firsthand the amazing ocean ecosystem while sea kayaking
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|San Juan Islands 2013
||Jun 30-Jul 5, 2013
||Guaranteed Date*||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|Jul 7-12, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|Aug 4-9, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|San Juan Islands 2014||Jun 29-Jul 4, 2014||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|Jul 6-11, 2014||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|Jul 13-18, 2014||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
|Aug 3-8, 2014||$2,799 per person | $850 single occ.|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
*Our 2013 trips are guaranteed to run once we have one confirmed booking on the trip. Trek Travel reserves the right to cancel trips with zero guests, therefore you must book with Trek Travel before making travel arrangments for the trip. We are not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirming your Trek Travel Trip. Guaranteed trips do not include Cross Country, Santa Barbara to Taos, Pyrenees Sea to Sea, or any Race trips.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their San Juan Islands bike vacations, here is what they said…
My wife and I usually do trips on our own, but now realize that guided tours are the way to go! All the mistakes that you can make on your own are eliminated, and our guides found some great attractions that we surely would have missed on our own. —Jeff
The guides made it all happen including changes on the fly when obstacles were thrown in the way. I don’t know if all your guides are as good as Jon Vick and Scott Cavanaugh but if they are, Trek Travel has something to beat their chest about.—Mark
On Day 4, the scenic view approaching Lime Kiln State Park. We had a mini rest stop just long enough to sight the ocean ahead.—Mary Ellen
I honestly feel lucky to have met not only the guides, but the other fantastic members of our group. I hope the friendships continue!—Adrienne
WOW factor for me was Scott and Jon. On all days they were either excellent or exceptional, and I’m not sure there’s much difference between those two grades.—Chris
Any one of the spectacular coastal views. Mt. Constitution. Tour was even better than anticipated.—Gary