|Months||April, May, September, October | View Dates»|
|Start & End||Bari, Italy | Lecce, Italy|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 20 - 65 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Historical Site Visit, Culture Tour, Wine Tasting, Food Tasting, Beach, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
From its dramatic beaches along the Adriatic coast to its quiet roads lined by majestic olive trees, Puglia, the "heel of Italy's boot," will captivate you with its diverse terrain and wild beauty. This largely undiscovered region rewards you at every turn, from the amazing caves at Castellana's Grotte to ancient trulli dotting the landscape to the awe-inspiring mosaic floor of Otranto's cathedral. So much more than just a cycling trip, our luxury tour of Puglia overflows with discovery–enjoy private olive oil and wine tastings, ancient architectural marvels, private historic walking tours and unforgettable archaeological tours, all complemented by sumptuous dining, delicious local wines and luxurious accommodations.
- Discovery the beautiful and dramatic coastline of Puglia
- Savor Puglia’s remarkable wines paired with the delicious local cuisine, based on homemade pasta, fresh seafood and seasonal produce
- Marvel at the "trulli", centuries old conical stone houses
- Visit Otranto Cathedral and its famed mosaic floor
- Enjoy the genuine hospitality of the friendly, proud Pugliese people.
Days 1 & 2 | Martina Franca
Stay at Relais Villa San Martino
Tour the caves and the underground limestone networks at Grotte di Castellana | Discover the trulli, ancient conical stone dwellings exclusive to this region, particularly in the UNESCO World Heritage site of Alberobello | Pedal the quiet winding roads of the Valle d’Itria amid placid olive groves and beautiful vineyards
Days 3 & 4 | The Adriatic Coast and Casalabate
Stay at Tenuta Monacelli
Cycle along the Adriatic shore on narrow lanes and rural roads, stopping to indulge in fresh-caught seafood | Visit charming, historic Ostuni–Italy's "white city" | Marvel at the olive press dating back more than 600 years–and the modern infinity pool–at historic Tenuta Monacelli
Days 5 & 6 | Otranto
Stay at Palazzo Papaleo
Ride along the Ionic coast and through the ancient limestone-strewn lands of Salento | Explore the vibrant seaport town of Otranto–learn of its Greek origins, and discover why it’s Cathedral is an UNESCO World Heritage site | Indulge in modern interpretations of traditional Pugliese cuisine, highlighted by the region’s best wines
Relais Villa San Martino | Martina Franca, Italy
This elegant oasis is ideally situated in the heart of Puglia. The small, luxurious hotel offers excellent hospitality, exquisite attention to detail, and understated elegance. The perfectly refined rooms are sumptuous and inviting, while the bucolic grounds will entice you to linger. The swimming pool and wellness center further complement this special hotel.
Tenuta Monacelli | Casalabate, Italy
The 17th century manor house is surrounded by hundreds of acres of centuries-old olive groves, and is just a kilometer from the white sand beaches of Casalabate. The sophisticated accommodations in this 24-room hotel are uniquely spacious and warmly comfortable. The large infinity swimming pool set within an olive grove is gorgeous, and the tranquil grounds are sure to cast a magical spell on you–it’s impossible to remember everyday concerns here!
Palazzo Papaleo | Otranto, Italy
Palazzo Papaleo is an exclusive five-star luxury hotel in the heart of Otranto, just steps from the renowned cathedral. A stately palace centuries ago, today the hotel provides sumptuous rooms adorned with antique frescoes and modern furnishings. The rooftop terraces afford breathtaking views of the sea and the historic port, while the warm, attentive staff makes you feel right at home.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 4 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane™ 5.9 carbon road carbon road bike, orTrek Domane™ 5.9 carbon road Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection) or Trek 7.6 FX™ hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
In springtime, you can expect warm daytime temperatures (70F-80F), with evenings usually 10 degrees cooler. Fall is warmer with daytime temperatures reaching the mid 80s, but evenings remain cooler. Puglia’s seaside location means that it can be hit with the odd cold spell or rain shower. Light layers and a wind/waterproof shell are recommended.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 35|
|Terrain | undulating||Average Daily Elevation | 700|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Puglia is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option–you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is varied with rolling hills. Hills are short, but can be occasionally steep. We typically cycle along narrow, quiet roads, but surfaces vary, from somewhat rough country roads to smooth, newly paved larger roads. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip–please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Play tennis or golf, or relax poolside at the hotel
- Explore "la citta bianca," the white city of Ostuni with its narrow passageways and enticing shops
- Spend a day at the beach and swim in the crystal clear waters of the Adriatic or Ionian seas
- Tour the cathedral and historic past of Otranto
- Spend a day in one of the hotel’s luxurious spas
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
||Apr 20-25, 2014
|Apr 27-May 2, 2014||Coming soon|
|May 4-9, 2014||Coming soon|
|May 11-16, 2014||Coming soon|
|May 18-23, 2014||Coming soon|
|May 25-30, 2014||Coming soon|
|Sep 21-26, 2014||Coming soon|
|Sep 28-Oct 3, 2014||Coming soon|
|Oct 5-10, 2014||Coming soon|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Puglia bike vacations, here is what they said…
Around every corner in Puglia is another delight. From beautiful beaches, to historic buildings, to the charming hospitality, we have carefully designed a trip to share and highlight the best of Puglia from all possible angles.
I wish I had some suggestions but it was such a fun trip and everything was so nice and everyone on the trip was especially fun to be with (the other cyclers). I don’t have any ideas. This was a "Truli" awesome trip - I especially liked the little back roads - even though it was not particularly "scenic" in the vacation sense. I feel I really saw "Italy"; small farms, villages and people who were not used to tourists so they were especially interested in the bicyclers. I’m still smiling. –Marjorie