y2012 Prague to Vienna Family • Greater Europe • Europe
|Months||July | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||Call for $ per person
|Start & End||Prague, Czech Republic | Vienna, Austria|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 13 - 45 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Cooking Class, Boat Cruise, Spa, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make It Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Discover secret forests, charming Baroque palaces, and quiet cobblestone streets as you and your family travel through the enchanting Bohemian wonderland of the Czech Republic and Austria. This Central European bicycle tour winds its way through thousands of years of history as you explore charming Renaissance towns, bike countryside laced with dense forests and rolling hills, and take in the sweeping vistas of the lush Danube River Valley. At a pace catered specifically to families, get in touch with your inner child, as you immerse yourself in the culture, cuisine, and adventure that continue to make Bohemia a favorite for active travelers and cyclists of all ages.
- Enjoy a walking tour of the splendid Medieval village of Cesky Krumlov.
- Spend the afternoon splashing down the Vltava River on a rafting trip!
- Ride across the border between the Czech Republic and Austria!
- Hike up to the 11th Century Durnstein castle ruins where Richard the Lionheart was captured!
- Enjoy an afternoon cooking class at a renown restaurant.
Days 1 & 2 | Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
Stay at Hotel Ruze
Experience the history of Unesco World Heritage Site Cesky Krumlov during an evening walking tour with the family, and see the bears in the moat surrounding the castle! | Ride along the Vltava river and visit a 13th century Cistercian monastery in Vyssi Brod | Have a blast as you paddle down the Vltava river!
Days 3 – 6 | Durnstein, Austria
Stay at Hotel Schloss Dürnstein
Ride among pine forests and rolling hills in Lower Austria | Visit the Stift Melk, a Baroque-inspired monastery perched high above the Danube | Enjoy a traditional Austrian Heuriger dinner at a family-run restaurant | Ride along the picturesque Danube River | Learn how to prepare an apricot dessert at our cooking class | Hike up to the ruins of the castle where Richard the Lionheart was captured!
Hotel Ruze | Ceský Krumlov
Constructed in the 16th century as a Jesuit Monastery and University, this five-star property is the leading hotel in Cesky Krumlov. They have carefully preserved the style of the Renaissance and take you back in time to the 16th century. The stunning 200-seat Jesuit Hall is often the site of musical concerts and the rest of the property is graced with amenities such as an indoor pool, fitness center, salon and sauna.
Romantik Hotel Richard Lowenherz | Dürnstein
The Romantik Hotel Richard Lowenherz is situated on the cliffs overlooking one of the most beautiful, pristine river landscapes in Europe, the mighty Danube. Serenity and romance are everywhere you look in this hotel, be it in the open hearth fireplace, the terraced restaurant overlooking the Danube or the spacious, dreamlike convent gardens, which now play host to an idyllic heated swimming pool. The Thiery family extends a Wachau welcome to their guests and everyone here is treated royally!
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 2 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Madone™ 5.2 carbon road bike, or Trek Madone™ 5.1 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.5 FX™ hybrid bike—for the kids, the use of a Trek Mountain Track 220 or a Trek KDR 1000
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Madone purchase at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Expect moderate and sometimes hot temperatures in the 70s-90s, and moderate humidity. Rain and thunderstorms are possible at any time and can be substantial. Please come with the appropriate rain gear.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 25|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 575|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Prague to Vienna Family is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option—you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 2 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is gentle rolling hills and smaller roads with very light traffic the first three days of our trip. When we reach the Danube River, we will be riding mostly on beautiful (and flat) bicycle paths. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip—please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Private guided tour of UNESCO World Heritage Site of Cesky Krumlov
- Wander around a 13th Century Cistercian Monastery in Vyssi Brod
- Paddle down the Vltava river
- Explore the medieval towns of Zwettl, Krems and Durnstein
- Private guided tour of the monastery Stift Melk
- Hiking to 13th Century ruins in Senftenberg and Durnstein where Richard the Lionheart was held captive
- Cooking School
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Prague to Vienna Family
||Please contact us for information
||Call for $per person | minimum age 10
Don’t see a date that works for your schedule? Learn how to pick your own date with Travel Match today!
Have a group of friends? Want to make this a corporate retreat? Learn more about our custom and group bike trips.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
See more photos from all our trips on Smugmug.com
See more photos from all our trips on Smugmug.com
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their Prague to Vienna Family vacations, here is what they said…
A great group of people, excellent routes and fantastic support.—Sohail
Kids of all ages will love to explore the ancient castles and cobblestone streets of these classic European towns. From a Baroque Monastery to secret forests, this vacation is sure to become a favorite.—Jessica Singerman, Trip designer