New Mexico Long Weekend Private • Southwest • North America
|Start & End||Taos, New Mexico | Santa Fe, New Mexico|
|Trip Length||4 days | 3 nights|
|Rider Type||3 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 15 - 85 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Food Tasting, Spa, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make It Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Meander along the high road to Santa Fe for a bicycling vacation that takes you through a land of enchantment defined by sublime mountain and high desert landscapes, ancient and modern cultural confluences, and exquisite dining and accommodations. Pedaling along the crest of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, crisp sunshine, winding roads, expansive vistas, and Colonial Spanish villages greet you with New Mexican warmth. Your cycling vacation of a lifetime includes nights in eclectic four star hotels where you"ll refresh for days spent gallery hopping, exploring 1000 year old Pueblos and sampling innovative southwest cuisine.
- Relax in opulent comfort at world class luxury hotels
- Reflect on 400 years of history in the adobe walls and charming streets of Santa Fe and Taos, and find yourself somewhere between the best of Europe, Mexico and North America
- Savor bold and creative next to the traditional and fiery in the best of New Mexican cuisine
- Pedal from sublime desert canyons to Aspen cloaked mountain passes
- Browse the work of artists, from the infamous to the undiscovered, in the countries 3rd largest art market
Days 1 & 2 | Taos
Stay at El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa
Explore 1000 year old Taos Pueblo | Ride through the Taos valley stopping to visit St Francis de Assisi, home of Kit Carson and the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge | Wander galleries of local and international artists | Take on the part or all of the 85 mile Enchanted Circle Loop | Indulge in creative international and New Mexican Cuisine | Shop, golf, raft, hike relax at the spa or take a hot air balloon ride in your spare time
Days 3 – 4 | Santa Fe
Stay at Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi
Visit charming Colonial Spanish villages along the High Road | Touch the "miraculous" earth at the Santuario de Chimayo | Cruise through the surreal badland formations of the Rio Grande Valley | Observe the 6,000-year-old traditional "lost wax" method of bronze sculpture casting at the Shidoni Gallery | Ride through 400 year old streets in historic Santa Fe | Visit the acclaimed Museum of International Folk Art
El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa | Taos, NM
El Monte Sagrada Living Resort and Spa prides itself on its sustainable approach to luxury accommodations and services. Experience the world famous art collection and spa facilities in this secluded sanctuary.
Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi | Santa Fe, NM
Located in the heart of Santa Fe, this boutique hotel offers an exquisite expression of Southwestern style. You’re sure to have a memorable and intimate stay at this world-class retreat.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 3 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 2 social hours, 2 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Madone™ 5.2 carbon road bike, or Trek Madone™ 5.1 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.7 FX™ hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Madone purchase at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
The late spring is generally warm and sunny with crisp mornings and evenings. Highs can range from the mid 60’s to the low 80’s and lows from the low 40’s to 50’s. The late summer sees highs in the mid 70’s to the high 80’s. Rain is infrequent but possible with short dramatic showers in the Spring. Such showers can be daily afternoon occurrences during late summer "monsoon" so it is best to be prepared with rain gear in both seasons. The climate is generally dry with relative humidity reaching the teens and the 7000 ft elevation takes a little getting used to.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 3||Average Daily Mileage | 30|
|Terrain | mountainous||Average Daily Elevation | 1,475|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. New Mexico Long Weekend is best suited for our Type 3 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 2 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option—you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 4 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is hilly to mountainous with mostly long gradual grades of 6% or less and a few short steep climbs above 10%. Regular and short options avoid the most challenging climbs, and are perfect for moderate ability riders. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip—please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Explore the historic village of Taos and the 1000 year old Pueblo
- Gallery & Museum Hopping
- Cultural Visits
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
Make New Mexico Your Own:
Trek Travel can customize a trip for groups ranging from 14 to 20+ guests. Tweak an existing itinerary or create a new one! When you build your own Custom bike trip with Trek Travel, each and every moment is artfully crafted to a blueprint of your choosing; it’s personalized and tailored to fit your schedule, interests, curiosities, wants, needs and budget.
So what do you need to do to get started? Check out our ’Trips to enthuse’ for ideas, contact us, then tell us who, where and when—it’s that easy. Let the planning begin.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
See more photos from all our trips on Smugmug.com
See more photos from all our trips on Smugmug.com
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their New Mexico Weekend vacations, here is what they said…
Southwestern cycling awaits the adventurous. Explore the jewel of New Mexico at your pace.—Zack Jones, Trip Designer