Ireland • Greater Europe • Europe
|Months||September | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||From $3,299 | See Pricing»|
|Start & End||Cork, Ireland|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||3 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 15 - 73 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Hands on chocolate making class, Boat Cruise, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
There is no better way to experience Ireland's rugged southwestern coast than by bicycle. Explore all that is truly Eire–weathered stone remains of ancient Celtic ruins, velvety pastures speckled with flocks of grazing sheep, and the timeless charm of traditional Irish pubs. The grandeur of Cork and Kerry come alive, from the glacier-carved Glencar Valley to the peaks of the Macgillycuddy’s Reeks mountain range. Explore the unspoiled terrain of Beara Peninsula, steeped in myths and legends and rich in archaeological sites. Settle into the warmth of our outstanding accommodations, share in jovial banter over a pint, and absorb the undying spirit of the enchanting Emerald Isle on your bicycle vacation of a lifetime!
- The wild, pale grey mountains and stunning patchwork of peat bogs provide a truly unique backdrop for cycling.
- Enjoy a fresh pint of Guinness or a glass of Irish Whiskey in the pub with friends. They call this the "craicâ" and it is a cherished part of the culture.
- It's very likely that the only traffic you will encounter is sheep wandering between pastures.
- The spectacular beauty of the Ring of Kerry provides an amazing insight into the ancient heritage of Ireland.
- The people embody the truest sense of Ireland. Their lives are focused on sharing stories and laughs with friends.
|Amsterdam Add On Package
Days 1 & 2 | Ring of Kerry
Stay at Carrig House Hotel
Ride through the farmlands of Killorglin | Soak in the peaks of Macgillycuddy Reeks | Explore the mystical and unspoiled region of the Ring of Kerry | Discover the largest island off the southwest coast of Kerry, Valentia Island | Challenge yourself on the Ring of Skellig | Delight in the best of country-house cooking while looking out at Caragh Lake
Days 3–6 | Kenmare
Stay at Brook Lane Hotel
Bicycle remote country roads past Irish villages and the scenic Glencar Valley | Soak in the views of Killarney National Park and the Gap of Dunloe | Snap photos at the top of Moll’s Gap | Pedal past the quiet bays and the rocky cliffs of the Atlantic | Enjoy stunning views from atop Healy Pass | Learn how to make fine chocolate with a master chocolatier | Take in the glacier-covered peaks and lakes in the high country | Enjoy a private whiskey tasting
Amsterdam Add On Package
Explore the city of Amsterdam and let Trek Travel take care of the details. Purchase our exciting 3 day, 2 night add on package to enjoy before or after your trip.
Carrig House Hotel | Ring of Kerry, Ireland
Cradled on the shores of Caragh Lake, this charming and meticulously restored Victorian hunting residence captures a sense of timelessness and offers a whole new experience of old-world hospitality.
Brook Lane Hotel | Kenmare, Ireland
This intimate and contemporary boutique hotel is situated in the heart of the bustling town of Kenmare, on nearby Kenmare Bay.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 2 social hours, 3 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Summer temperatures range from the 50s to 70s. Always remember that rain is possible at any time of the year–daily Irish weather is very unpredictable! It's a good idea to bring a light rain jacket, as well as layers.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 3
||Average Daily Mileage | 30|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 2,200|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Ireland is best suited for our Type 3 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 2 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option–you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 4 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is varied with sustained ascents and somewhat challenging climbs, if you opt for the more difficult routes. There are no shoulders but there are plenty of sheep! See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip–please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Walk the ’Kerry Way’ - a trail that closely follows the Ring of Kerry
- Enjoy a private whiskey tasting
- Golfing options in Kenmare
- Private hands-on chocolate making class
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
||Sep 15-20, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,299 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Sep 29-Oct 4, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,299 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Ireland 2014||Jul 20-25, 2014||$3,299 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Aug 3-8, 2014||$3,299 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Aug 10-15, 2014||$3,299 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Amsterdam Add On Package||Pre/Post Trip||$899 per person|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
*Our 2013 trips are guaranteed to run once we have one confirmed booking on the trip. Trek Travel reserves the right to cancel trips with zero guests, therefore you must book with Trek Travel before making travel arrangments for the trip. We are not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirming your Trek Travel Trip. Guaranteed trips do not include Cross Country, Santa Barbara to Taos, Pyrenees Sea to Sea, or any Race trips.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Ireland bike vacations, here is what they said…
Both guides had above-average knowledge of the area, geology, vegetation, cultural history. Obviously they love this part of the world and it showed. We felt truly "hosted"—as in, ’Let us show you this great place!—Tommy