Application & Hiring/Training Process
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
If you wish to apply for a Trek Travel Guide Contract and feel that you have what it takes to succeed in this position, here are the steps to follow and the 6 items you will need:
1. Assemble the following items before submitting our online application:
- COVER LETTER telling us why you feel you would be the perfect candidate for this job
- 1-PAGE ESSAY telling us about the most memorable Customer Service experience you ever received and the impact that it had on you
- 2 LETTERS OF REFERENCE from former employers (or other professionals who can vouch for your suitability for this job). If you have a reference from a Trek Travel Guide or other staff member, then this can replace one of your two reference letters.
- SCANNED COPY OF YOUR CURRENT DRIVER'S LICENSE - please make sure that the copy is clear and legible.
- SCANNED COPY OF YOUR DMV/DRIVER RECORD - dated within 30 days of your application
2. Once you have all those items, click on this link to fill out the Trek Travel Guide Application - APPLY ONLINE
3. PLEASE NOTE that you cannot save and return to this form, so we encourage you to read it through in its entirety once before filling it out.
4. After you have completed the form, you will be redirected to a page confirming that we have received your application.
5. On that page, you will then be asked to click on the email address listed there to send an email to email@example.com with the words "Trek Travel Guide Applicant" in the subject line, and to attach the items you have assembled in #1 above. Please note that we cannot accept incomplete applications, so if any of the listed documents are missing your application will NOT be accepted. You must attach the required documents to this same email - we will not accept multiple emails (only one per candidate). Unfortunately we cannot accept faxed or mailed documents.
6. Once we receive all of your items, you will receive an email from us confirming you're your application is complete.
Please do NOT submit application items in to our office by mail or fax. Applications received by mail or fax will not be considered.
Please do NOT contact Trek Travel by phone to inquire about the status of your application. We will only be contacting the strongest candidates for an interview.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER APPLYING
Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. It is in your best interest to submit your application early to improve your chances of being hired as we use rolling admissions while processing applications.
The Trek Travel Guide Hiring is a unique multi-step process designed to enable us to offer Guide Contracts to the very best candidates. It is made up of the following steps:
Friday, March 29th - Deadline for all Guide applications to be received and be considered for the start of the season.
Skype Video Interviews:
We will select the strongest candidates for a Skype video interview to be scheduled as applications are processed. If you are chosen for an interview, we will contact you to set up a convenient time. These interviews will last approximately 30 minutes. There is a possibility that if selected for a Skype interview, we may ask you to do a second one.
Please note: All interviews will be done over Skype video. If you are chosen for an interview, you will need to have access to a video-enabled computer or smartphone with strong Internet access to take part in this process.
Applications submitted after the deadline - Completed applications received after Friday, March 29th will be kept on file and reviewed upon submission. Based on hiring needs through out the season, our strongest candidates will be contacted by the Trek Travel Hiring Team. Any future Hiring & Training events are TBD.
Trek Travel hiring events will be based upon hiring needs through out the season.
It is also important to be aware that at any point during the Training, participants may be asked to leave if we do not feel that they are meeting the criteria that we have established. It is for this reason that we strongly recommend that candidates purchase changeable air tickets to Madison if they are invited.
ITEMS GUIDES NEED TO PROVIDE IF HIRED
- Laptop/Tablet Requirements
- Bike Tools
- First Aid Kit
- Camera-Equipped, Web-Enabled Smartphone
- 8-Megapixel Camera
- Guide Clothing
All guides, as a condition of their Guide Contract, are required to provide their own laptop or tablet computer, equipped with the following capabilities to use while working for Trek Travel:
- Wireless networking capability
- Web browser
- MS Word (or other software program capable of viewing, modifying, saving and sending MS Word docs)
- MS Excel (or other software program capable of viewing, modifying, saving and sending MS Excel docs)
- Skype installed (we use this program extensively to communicate with our Guides in the field. Please note that your laptop does not need to be equipped with a camera; beyond the initial Skype video interview, it is not required).
While all of our units come fully stocked with extensive bike repair tools, Guides are expected to have a basic tool kit that they bring with them into the field. If you are offered a Guide Contract, you will be expected to supply your own set of tools, listed below:
- Set of allen wrenches (or multi-tool)
- Multi-spoke wrench
- Chain tool (for 10-speed chains)
- Set of tire levers
- Small patch kit
- Cable cutters
- Medium Philips (#2) screwdriver
- Medium flat head screwdriver
- Small adjustable wrench
- Small needle nose pliers
- Small bottle of bike lube
- 5nm Torque wrench
First Aid Kit
As a condition of your Guide Contract, all Guides are required to provide their own cycling First Aid kit, that they are required to carry with them at all times while riding bike support. Guides are responsible for making sure that this is kept stocked for each trip they guide. If offered a Guide Contract, you will be given a list of items that must make up this kit. Guides are responsible for replenishing this kit as needed.
Camera-Equipped, Web-Enabled Smartphone
All Guides are required to provide their own web-enabled, camera-equipped smartphone. Your daily pay rate includes a per diem for phone use, therefore all costs associated with the use of your cell phone while guiding are the responsibility of the Guide, so it is advised that you keep all cell phone receipts for tax purposes.
Note: Trek Travel will provide a European cellphone and SIM card to use while working there, however you will still need the smart phone.
All Guides must provide and carry with them a portable digital camera while guiding. Please note that point-and-shoot models are perfectly acceptable. If your smartphone's camera has at least 8-megapixel resolution and you would prefer to use that for picture taking rather than a separate camera that is perfectly acceptable.
Trek Travel provides 2 jerseys, 2 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of socks at no cost to every Guide given a contract. Outside of these items, as a condition of their Guide Contract, all outwardly visible cycling apparel must be branded, either Trek Travel, Trek or Bontrager, including cycling shoes. Also, Guides will also be able to use the Trek-branded helmets that are part of the field equipment. Please note that if you are given a Guide Contract, that you will be able to purchase Trek and Bontrager apparel and cycling gear at near-wholesale prices prior to beginning your guiding season.