|Start & End||Brive-la-Gaillarde, France | Bergerac, France|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 10 - 20 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Canoeing, Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Food Tasting, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make It Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Winding through a countryside rich in history and tradition, Trek Travel's Dordogne family bicycle tour takes a journey through time; from the Stone Age through the Middle Ages and on to today, the region's unique landscape of history provides days of limitless discovery for active travelers young and old. Pedal through quaint villages and picturesque valleys, explore mysterious Paleolithic art and grand Medieval castles, relax in lavish chåteaux hotels and relish delicious French cuisine. Truly an enchanting and enlightening family travel experience, Trek Travel's Dordogne bike tour offers just the right blend of history, adventure, luxury and culture to captivate kids and parents alike!
- Ride on quiet tree lined roads, through medieval villages, and along the peaceful Dordgone River.
- Enjoy learning the ancient skill of archery and hike in the dense forest still inhabited by wild boar.
- Marvel at the medieval fortress of Castelnaud.
- Visit the only cave in the world open to the public featuring pre-historic polychrome paintings.
- Canoe along the Dordogne River with castles clinging to the limestone rock overhead.
Days 1 – 3 | Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
Stay at Hotel du Centenaire
Pedal past battle sites from the Hundred Years War | Stroll the cobblestone streets of the medieval village of Sarlat on market day | Canoe down the Dordogne River | Visit the formidable Chåteau de Castelnaud | Discover the depths of the Gouffre de Proumeyssac | Enjoy a pool party in a spectacular hotel setting
Days 4 – 6 | Trémolat
Stay at Le Vieux Logis
Ride through quaint farmlands, ancient forests and picturesque villages | Discover the outstanding pre-historic Font de Gaume cave | Sharpen your archery skills | Hike the hills surrounding Tremolat | Indulge in a delightful dinner at a one-star Michelin restaurant
Hotel du Centenaire | Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, France
The Hotel du Centenaire was created exactly 100 hundred years after the discovery of the first prehistoric site in the area. You'll enjoy the warm spirit of this family home. The interior combines both a modern and luxurious decor. The grand entrance of the Centenaire opens out onto a green, floral haven where you can cool yourself in the pool or rest under the shade.
Le Vieux Logis | Trémolat, France
A member of the Relais & Chåteaux collection, this high-standard hotel has been in the same family for over 450 years. Originally a simple tobacco barn, the building was renovated under the close eye of Mrs. Giraudel (the current owner's mother). She transformed the property into a first-class hotel at a time when tourism in the Périgord was only just beginning. Although the house has been fully redecorated, it has never lost any of its original cachet. Every book, every piece of furniture and every armchair is original and holds its individual story, some four centuries old.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Madone™ 5.2 carbon road bike, or Trek Madone™ 5.1 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.5 FX™ hybrid bike for the kids, the use of a KDR 1000 Road Bike or Mountain Track 60 or 220
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Madone purchase at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
The Dordogne region enjoys a warm climate. June brings temperatures in the 70s to high 80s. Rain is always a possibility, so be prepared with the proper rain gear in order to best enjoy your vacation.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 20|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 1,000|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Dordogne Multisport Family is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option—you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider.Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is highlighted by rolling hills and quiet winding roads lined with lush forests. Some hills in the Dordogne are quite steep but relatively short. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip—please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Private tour of pre-historic cave paintings in Les Eyzies
- Canoe down the Dordogne River, classified as the cleanest River in France
- Private guided tour of the medieval fortress of Castelnaud
- Visit of the Gouffre de Proumeyssac
- Exploring and shopping in medieval Sarlat
- Hiking around Tråmolat
- Archery class
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
Make Dordogne Family Your Own:
Trek Travel can customize a trip for groups ranging from 14 to 20+ guests. Tweak an existing itinerary or create a new one! When you build your own Custom bike trip with Trek Travel, each and every moment is artfully crafted to a blueprint of your choosing; it’s personalized and tailored to fit your schedule, interests, curiosities, wants, needs and budget.
So what do you need to do to get started? Check out our ’Trips to enthuse’ for ideas, contact us, then tell us who, where and when—it’s that easy. Let the planning begin.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their Dordogne Family vacations, here is what they said…
My favorite parts of the trip were cycling on the lovely quiet roads, kayaking the Dordogne and the Medieval towns.—Dave
I loved everything. Nothing could have been better.—Teri
This trip was far above any expectations my wife and I had! Every day was a 10.—Jeffery
Trip (guides) were excellent: flexible, helpful, always went that extra mile. Itinerary was great.—KarenWhen I was a kid I loved to hear of fairy tales filled with honorable knights, maiden ladies and tall, stone castles. It was so magical! The day I arrived in the Dordogne I realized that this is the birthplace of fairy tales! —Renee Krysko, Trip Designer