|Months||June | September | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||From $3,999 | See Pricing»|
|Start & End||Girona, Spain|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 15 - 49 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Wine Tasting, Food Tasting, Boat Cruise, Beach, Shopping, Ride Pro Race Course|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Expand perceptions of reality (and luxury) along the enchanting coast of Spain. On the alluring Mediterranean shoreline, where the mountains meet the sea, somewhere between the real and the surreal, warm sunshine, winding roads, panoramic views, and Catalan charm combine to create a truly unique bicycle vacation. From nights in a seaside Iberian villa to days spent biking the Empordå plain and exploring the mystical musings of Salvador Dalí, this Mediterranean paradise offers a perfect active travel mixture of compelling culture, fabulous cuisine, and varied cycling terrain.
- Discover the crystal clear inlets of the beautiful rugged Costa Brava ("Wild Coast") by both bike and boat.
- Savor "mar i montaña" (sea and mountain)–the essential Catalan cuisine–a wonderful blend of fresh, local seafood served with the bounty of the land.
- Marvel at the medieval castle surreal artist Salvador Dalí left to his wife, Gala.
- Enjoy a private guided tour and tasting at a local organic winery
- Delight in the warm hospitality of the proud, passionately independent Catalan people when you greet them with "bon día."
|Barcelona Add On Package
Days 1 & 2 | Empordå Plain
Stay at La Placa de Madremanya
Bicycle through medieval villages, stopping to admire the Romanesque architecture | Visit Castell Gala Dali, Salvador Dalí's last workshop and the mausoleum for his muse, his wife Gala | Discover the oldest archeological ruins on the Iberian Peninsula | Explore castle ruins in Pals and its beautiful ceramics shops | Indulge in seasonal cuisine and savor regional wines
Days 3 – 6 | Costa Brava
Stay at Hostal de la Gavina
Cycle alongside the Med, stopping to visit Catalan seaport villages | Tour a local vineyard and taste the famous Catalan wines | Take in the spectacular coastline on a private catamaran cruise through crystalline waters | Enjoy elegant dining at a restaurant on the Mediterranean Sea | Soak up the rays at the seaside pool or on the beach
Barcelona Add On Package
Explore the city of Barcelona and let Trek Travel take care of the details. Purchase our exciting 3 day, 2 night add on package to enjoy before or after your trip.
La Placa de Madremanya | Madremanya, Spain (Girona)
Madremanya is a beautiful medieval walled village with perfectly restored buildings housing less than 200 inhabitants, set amidst rolling farmlands of the Empordå plains. We stay at La Placa, a 14th century stone farmhouse with a warm interior. The gourmet restaurant serves the freshest local ingredients in a combination of tradition and innovation.
Hostal de la Gavina | S'Agaró, Spain (Girona)
This hotel is situated on a cliff, overlooking the Sant Pol beach on the Mediterranean Sea. Sant Pol was popular with many stars, such as Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, and Sean Connery. A rich cultural heritage is evident throughout the hotel in the Flemish tapestries, Romanesque carvings, Murano lights, and 18th-century Sevres vases. The outdoor swimming pool, beautiful gardens, and spa all add to the enjoyment of this quiet, scenic retreat on the magnificent Mediterranean.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 4 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
The springtime brings greener hills, with pleasant daytime temperatures (70F-80F) and evening temperatures 10-15 degrees cooler. The fall is drier and warmer with daytime temperatures reaching the mid 80s. Costa Brava’s northern location means that it can be hit with the odd cold spell or rain shower. Light layers and a waterproof shell are recommended.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 30|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 2,400|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Costa Brava is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option–you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is varied with rolling plains and mountainous coastline. Hills generally are short, but can be steep in places. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip–please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Explore a beautifully preserved medieval town known for its ceramics
- Visit Salvador Dalí's castle mausoleum for his wife Gala
- Tour a local vineyard and taste the famous "Catalan" wines
- Discover ancient archeological ruins
- Swim in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean
- Walk on the beach
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Costa Brava||Jun 2-7, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,999 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Jun 9-14, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,999 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Jun 16-21, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,999 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Jun 23-28, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,999 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Sep 15-20, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$4,199 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Sep 22-27, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$4,199 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Sep 29-Oct 4, 2013||Private Date
||$4,199 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Oct 6-11, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$4,199 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Oct 13-18, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$4,199 per person | $1,000 single occ.|
|Barcelona Add On Package||Pre/Post Trip||$899 per person|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
*Our 2013 trips are guaranteed to run once we have one confirmed booking on the trip. Trek Travel reserves the right to cancel trips with zero guests, therefore you must book with Trek Travel before making travel arrangments for the trip. We are not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirming your Trek Travel Trip. Guaranteed trips do not include Cross Country, Santa Barbara to Taos, Pyrenees Sea to Sea, or any Race trips.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Costa Brava bike vacations, here is what they said…
The ride along the Costa Brava was spectacular. The views of the coastline and out to the Med demanded that we stop to take it all in. We’ve had some wonderful rides with Trek Travel, but this one may well be the best of the best.—Jim
The guides were great. Castell D’emporda was awesome! Evening tour of Peratalda was a very nice touch.—Dave
The scenery and weather were spectacular!—Kathy
The scenery as we biked along the coast of the Mediterranean.—Wendy
The biking and the group camaraderie...Delicious - the picnics were awesome. Renee and Kathryn did a great job.—Shana