|Months||July, August | View Dates»|
|Price (USD)||From $3,499 | See Pricing»|
|Start & End||Annecy, France | Grenoble, France|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||4 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 10 - 80 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Boat Cruise, Shopping, Ride Pro Race Course|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Cycle the most dramatic climbs of France on our 6-day trip through the French Alps. Surrounded by scenic views and the most rewarding alpine passes in France, we'll greet each day with challenging climbs like Col de la Forclaz, Col du Télégraphe, and the Col du Galibier. You can even tempt yourself with a harrowing ascent of Alpe d'Huez. Like all Explorer adventures, the Classic Climbs trip emphasizes scenic beauty and spectacular riding in classic Trek Travel style.
- Time yourself as you tackle Alpe d’Huez. How do you stack up against TdF winners?
- Fuel yourself with traditional alpine favorites: tartiflette, raclette, and fondue!
- Imagine yourself leading the peloton as you ride over the names of your favorite riders painted on the road.
- Climb some of the most epic climbs of France’s most famous races.
- Explore the intimate villages that come alive with dedicated fans during cycling's grandest race.
Days 1 & 2 | Annecy
Stay at Hotel Splendid
Cycle Col de Leschaux and Mont Semnoz | Explore the scenic Alpine town of Annecy | Ride around Lake Annecy and ascend the challenging Col de la Forclaz
Days 3 – 6 | La Grave
Stay at Auberge Edelweiss
Climb the classic back-to-back combination of the Col du Telegraphe and the Col du Galibier | Ride the fabled 21 switchbacks of Alpe d’Huez | Enjoy scenic views of snow-capped mountains, majestic glaciers, and Alpine meadows
Hotel Splendid | Annecy, France (Haute-Savoie)
This recently renovated hotel is ideally located between the lake and the mountains. The Splendid Hotel sits across from the shores of Lake Annecy, the cleanest lake in all of France, and is perfectly nestled in the heart of the old town.
Auberge Edelweiss | La Grave, France
Located along the route between the Col du Lautaret and Alpe d'Huez, the charming Auberge Edelweiss is run by a family passionate about cycling. Accustomed to housing cyclists - even a stage winner or two - this hotel knows how to cater to active travelers and has the appropriate facilities, including a whirlpool and sauna. Additionally, the hotel's terrace offers the ideal setting to enjoy a cold beverage and spectacular views of the Meije glacier after a great day of cycling.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 2 lunches, 2 social hours, 3 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
The summer months in the Alps can bring warm days, ranging from the mid 60s to low 80s, with evenings dropping to the mid 50s to mid 60s. When traveling in the Alps, it is best to be prepared for variable conditions, as weather can change very quickly. There is always the chance of snow and rain. We recommend always traveling with rain gear, as well as plenty of breathable layers to provide warmth when the temperature drops.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 4||Average Daily Mileage | 40|
|Terrain | mountainous||Average Daily Elevation | 4,000|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Classic Climbs of the Alps is best suited for our Type 4 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 3 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Type 4 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is highlighted by stunning views, quiet roads and challenging terrain. We will make an average of 2-3 major climbs per day that combine sustained climbing with several steep sections. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
This destination is best suited to guests who want to cycle every day. Because of the terrain and/or remoteness of the hotels and riding routes, there are few, if any, non-riding options available. If a non-rider wants to accompany a rider guest on this trip, they would need to spend many hours in the van and/or at the hotels on the trip. Due to this, we strongly discourage non-riders from this destination.
As an alternative, call a Trek Travel Trip Consultant at 866.464.8735 for trip suggestions where more non-rider activities are available, such as:
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
|Classic Climbs of the Alps
||Jul 28-Aug 2, 2013||Limited Availability||$3,499 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Aug 4-9, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,499 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Alps CHALLENGE Learn more»||Aug 11-16, 2013||Guaranteed Date*||$3,699 per person | $950 single occ.|
|Aug 18-23, 2013||Limited Availability
||$3,499 per person | $950 single occ.|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
*Our 2013 trips are guaranteed to run once we have one confirmed booking on the trip. Trek Travel reserves the right to cancel trips with zero guests, therefore you must book with Trek Travel before making travel arrangments for the trip. We are not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirming your Trek Travel Trip. Guaranteed trips do not include Cross Country, Santa Barbara to Taos, Pyrenees Sea to Sea, or any Race trips.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their Classic Climbs of the Alps vacations, here is what they said…
WOW! Anyone considering a cycling trip to France should check out Trek Travel. My fondest memory will always be climbing the famous Alpe d’Huez– switchbacks totaling 5,500 feet of climbing in 9 miles! —Isabelle
Ride options: outstanding!! Rides and support were unbelievable and a selling point. I have recommended Trek Travel to other friends - particularly because of the rides and the high quality of bikes and accurate bike fitting!—Meg
Riding over Galibier on a windless, sunny day. Spectacular!—Eric
The scenery (and) being able to ride every day without any time constraints. I love climbing...I definitely want to do more trips.—Jonathan
I cannot say enough good things about this trip and our guides in particular. I only wish it had lasted longer.—Susan
I enjoyed our host at the Auberge Edelweiss. It was a low key and very special place.—Adam