California Coast • West Coast • North America
|Months To Go
||September | View Dates»|
|Start & End||San Francisco, California|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 8 - 64 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Hiking, Cultural Tour, Boat Cruise, Beach, Shopping
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Cycle through a sun-drenched dream scape of rolling hills, jagged cliffs, and secluded beaches. The soulful soundtrack of the crashing waves serenades you from the stoic redwoods of Muir Woods to the sophisticated splendor of the Golden Gate. With bike routes for riders of all abilities, complimented by the diversity of non-biking activities, every day on the California Coast bike tour is guaranteed to offer the perfect combination of cycling, sight-seeing, and relaxation for active travelers of all abilities. Miles of coastline, storybook sunsets, and the frontier spirit of the West combine with luxurious hotels and world-class cuisine to make Trek Travel's California Coast bicycle vacation a truly unique travel experience.
- Discover the beautiful and ever changing coastline of Northern California by both bike and boat.
- Taste the fresh, local, and handcrafted delicatessens of the Bay Area, that food critics have come to adore.
- Enjoy cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, one of the most photographed icons in the world.
- Enjoy amazing sunsets along the coast.
- Delight in the warm hospitality of the people on the Sonoma Coast.
Day 1 | Mendocino-Sonoma Coast
Stay at The Sea Ranch Lodge
Bicycle along the southern coastline of Mendocino county | Enjoy a stroll along the rugged coastline | Relax in the serene comfort of the hotel
Days 2 & 3 | Bodega Bay
Stay at Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa
Bicycle California's celebrated coastline | Go horseback riding on the beach | Cycle along the Bohemian Highway | Have dinner at one of Bodega Bay's best restaurants
Days 4 & 5 | Tiburon
Stay at The Lodge at Tiburon
Cycle through the beautiful seascape of Tamales Bay and head south to Point Reyes Station | Enjoy cycling through the Presidio | Cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge | Explore the quaint town of Sausalito | Enjoy the spectacular view of San Francisco | Follow the shoreline into Muir Woods or enjoy a day of shopping in the city
Hotel Healdsburg | Healdsburg, CA
Hotel Healdsburg, Sonoma County's premier luxury lodging on Healdsburg's historic Town Plaza. Located in the heart of North Sonoma Wine Country, Hotel Healdsburg is the ideal venue for a romantic weekend, celebration or company meeting. A resort unto itself, the hotel offers a full service spa, pool, country gardens, and the acclaimed Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen.
The Sea Ranch Lodge | The Sea Ranch, CA
This cozy retreat is set on the bluffs, overlooking the Pacific Ocean at the Mendocino-Sonoma county line. An eco-conscious hotel since the 1960’s, the Sea Ranch Lodge offers comfort in a serene natural setting.
Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa | Bodega Bay, CA
The Lodge is set on the coast, overlooking Doran Beach State Park and Bodega Head. Fully renovated in 2007, each spacious room has a fireplace and private balcony with sweeping water views. The Lodge also has a world-class spa, oceanview, hot tub, and access to the beach - all designed to help you relax and enjoy your vacation.
The Lodge at Tiburon | Tiburon, CA
Across the spectacular San Francisco Bay, The Lodge at Tiburon is an easy, sublime escape from the noise of the city. Only steps away from the docks of the bay, the lodge is a quaint retreat nestled among the cafes, boutiques and galleries of Tiburon and is adorned with relaxing décor and an inviting ambiance.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Domane 5.9 carbon road bike, or Trek Domane 5.9 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.6 FX hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Domane or Madone, or Project One purchased at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
The summer and fall months bring warmer days to the coast (mid 70’s to low 80’s), however evening temperature’s are typically 40 degrees cooler. Being on the coast means that there is always a chance of fog or a thick marine layer. Light layers and a wind/waterproof shell are recommended.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 25|
|Terrain | undulating||Average Daily Elevation | 1,150|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. California Coast is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option—you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is consistently rolling with a few flat stretches and narrow at times. Highway 1 is a two lane highway with wide shoulders and rolling hills; traffic is generally mild during the week. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip—please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- The Richardson Bay Audubon Center that provides a habitat preserve for birds, migratory waterfowl, and other wildlife
- Tour of the Potter Schoolhouse from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"
- Relax on the beach just outside of our hotel's front door
- Massages are available in-house at many of our hotels
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
||Make Date Private|
Want to travel with your with friends, family, or colleagues? We can make any trip private. More»
Our dates don't fit your schedule? Use Travel Match and suggest your own date. More»
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW's were from their California Coast bike vacations, here is what they said…
This vacation exceeded my every expectation. The hotels, the support and service, and the guides were absolutely outstanding—Carolyn
I really appreciated how well our guides knew the routes, the best place to stop, road hazards to watch for, etc. They also had extra guidance for us when we wanted to skip a leg of riding, beyond the options on paper. Jonathan gave me a 1-mile boost up a climb so I could save my legs for Mt. Tam and it helped.—Jenni
Our incredible guides! Fun, friendly, flexible—Kevin
Food was great. Sea Ranch and Bodega Bay were top drawer and final dinner was excellent.—Paul
The flexibility of each day is incredible.—Sheila
A casual yet sophisticated vacation with enough exercise to justify eating all of the world class food.—Forrest