|Start & End||Dijon, France|
|Trip Length||6 days | 5 nights|
|Rider Type||2 | Learn More»|
|Daily Rides||Options from 13 - 108 miles|
|Beyond Biking||Historical Site Visit, Cultural Tour, Wine Tasting, Shopping|
|Trip Options||Make it Private or Choose Your Own Date|
Burgundy is world-famous for its wines, but you’ll find on your bicycling vacation that the wines are only one part of the richness of this region. The multi-colored roof tiles, ancient abbeys and monasteries, creamy cheeses, and diverse geography add a richness that enhances your overall travel experience. Enjoy leisurely bike rides through ancient vines, relax in luxurious chateau hotels, discover and share the passion of the local winemakers. For wine connoisseurs or those just initiating into the wine culture, for true culinary experts or those who just love food, for leisurely cyclists or active travelers, Trek Travel will help you uncover the gems of Burgundy on your French cycling tour.
- Cycle through vineyards, pastoral rolling hills, and stunning vistas.
- The most iconic French dishes come from Burgundy: escargots, Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq au Vin, and Dijon mustard. Burgundy’s cuisine is known for its richness.
- Marvel at the colorful tile rooftops.
- Visit medieval castles, churches, monasteries, and abbeys. Enjoy tastings at world-renowned wineries.
- Meet warm and hospitable locals whose passionate stories and historic connections will inspire you.
Days 1 & 2 | Chambolle-Musigny, France
Stay at Chateau Andre Ziltener
Cycle past ancient abbeys and monasteries | Savor the famous Burgundy cuisine | Ride by world-renowned wineries Aloxe Corton, Clos du Vougeot, and Romanee Conti | Taste the varied Burgundy red and white wines
Days 3 – 6 | Beaune, France
Stay at Hotel Le Cep
Admire the colorful roof tiles on the beautiful marie in Mersault | Visit the second oldest oak barrel factory in France | Soak in the stunning views of the Orches cliffs | Taste some crémant in Savigny-les-Beaune | Tour the historic Hotel-Dieu in Beaune
Chateau Andre Ziltener | Chambolle-Musigny
This luxurious hotel is a 18th century chateau, built on the foundations of a Cistercian abbey, surrounded by the Vougeot vineyards. It is perfectly situated on the Route de Grands Crus between Dijon and Beaune.
Hotel Le Cep | Beaune, France
Hotel le Cep (meaning young vine sprout) is an elegant 16th century former private residence that Louis XIV frequented. Its perfectly restored buildings, courtyards, vaulted cellar, and elegant rooms create an atmosphere of luxury and comfort. It is located in the heart of the capital of Burgundy’s wine region and features a magnificent tower, private garden, and beautifully decorated traditional French rooms.
What’s Included in the Trip Price
- 5 nights of accommodation
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 social hours, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides
- Daily route support
- The use of a Trek Madone™ 5.2 carbon road bike, or Trek Madone™ 5.2 Women’s Specific Design carbon road bike (limited selection), or Trek 7.7 FX™ hybrid bike
- The use of Trek bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- Trek Travel water bottles
- Private tours
- Entrance fees to all group events/activities
- All luggage transfers
- All transportation during the trip, including private coaches
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Trek merchandise
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels, and restaurants
- $300 Discount on a 5 or 6 series Trek Madone purchase at your local Trek retailer
- Airfare to and from the trip
- Transportation to the trip pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Gratuities for Trek Travel guides
- Personal items purchased during the trip
- Some meals are not included in each destination, which allows you the opportunity to explore regional cuisine on your own. Your guides are happy to make recommendations should you so desire.
What is the weather going to be like?
Summertime in Burgundy brings pleasant daytime temperatures (70F-80F) with occasional hot afternoons or rain. A light jacket might make your morning ride a little more comfortable and always be prepared with rain gear.
What are the daily rides like?
|Rider Type | 2||Average Daily Mileage | 27|
|Terrain | hilly||Average Daily Elevation | 1,700|
On all of our vacations, Trek Travel strives to find quiet, paved secondary roads or bike paths to experience a region; busy roads are avoided as much as possible. Burgundy is best suited for our Type 2 Riders. Our Trek Travel guides can also easily accommodate Type 1 Riders, who seek less mileage or fewer uphills, with a boost in the van. Those who wish to ride every mile but are concerned about their physical ability may want to try our electric bike option--you still get a workout but can climb alongside even the strongest rider. Type 3 Riders will enjoy the extra mileage the avid route options offer. The terrain is varied with rolling hills. See Itinerary for specific daily ride distance and elevation options.
What are the options for a non-rider travel companion?
On most Trek Travel trips, we offer non-riding options for riders who want to take the afternoon off, or travel companions who want to spend little or no time in the saddle. Some of these options may need to be scheduled before your trip--please contact one of our Trip Consultants for more information. Expenses and/or related transportation to these activities may not be included in the trip price. See Included In The Trip Price for more information.
Some non-riding options on this trip are:
- Tour vineyards and taste various wines
- Visit the Hotel-Dieu in Beaune, whose multi-colored roofs have become an icon of Burgundy
- Explore various medieval villages and chateaux
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out our General FAQs section. You will find answers to all the most common questions that don’t necessarily pertain to a specific trip.
Make Burgundy Your Own:
Trek Travel can customize a trip for groups ranging from 14 to 20+ guests. Tweak an existing itinerary or create a new one! When you build your own Custom bike trip with Trek Travel, each and every moment is artfully crafted to a blueprint of your choosing; it’s personalized and tailored to fit your schedule, interests, curiosities, wants, needs and budget.
So what do you need to do to get started? Check out our ’Trips to enthuse’ for ideas, contact us, then tell us who, where and when—it’s that easy. Let the planning begin.
Wow’s From Our Guests & More Photos
When we asked our guests what their favorite WOW’s were from their Burgundy bike vacations, here is what they said…
The monks living in the abbeys were the true pioneers of Burgundy wine. The stone buildings all have ancient cellars where the fruit of human labor is left to mature beneath the earth.—Stephanie Chapman
The delight of Burgundy lies in the sum of its ingredients—world renown wines, colorful roof tiles, gracious locals, rich cuisine, quiet villages. This trip captures the best of each which allows you to taste the unique flavor that is Burgundy.—Stephanie Chapman